Why Your Gift Matters
Three Compelling Stats:
Our community has the highest rate of reported domestic violence in California (60,000+ residents)
Tonight, more than 200 homeless youths will be sleeping on our streets
1 in 4 women and their children will experience family violence at home
This does not have to happen . . . Be part of the solution
- A 15-year-old young woman came to us after her father died. Her mother has a substance abuse problem and this young lady was shuffled amongst family members. Her grief and feelings of instability were expressed as defiance and combative behavior. She experienced multiple school transfers and ultimately ended up on probation. After a brief course of Interface counseling services, this young woman was able to achieve a remarkable stability at home and is receiving rave academic reviews at school!
- A 14-year-old girl was referred to Interface by her probation officer with a history of physical assault toward other girls, poor school performance with excessive absenteeism, and evidence of suicidal behavior. Counseling intervention dramatically improved her behavior and gave her a renewed sense of hope.
- A 17-year-old girl was referred by Probation with a history of violent behavior, substance abuse, and multiple fights with family and peers. With weekly counseling, the girl has a new outlook and is looking forward to attending college.
- A school administrator contacted Interface asking for help. Tragically, the school needed referrals and counseling for an 11-year-old child who was six months pregnant and for another 8th grader with a three-month old baby.
- From a volunteer high school student at an Interface Family Resource Center, “My service has been so fulfilling that I plan on continuing it for as long as I can beyond my high school required objectives. I have a sense of duty and responsibility to our community and to giving (families) feelings of purpose, competence, and usefulness. My eyes have been opened to new ideas and increased life potential”
- “My friend was being beat up by her husband at home. She tried other agencies and was unable to get immediate assistance. I contacted you (Interface). Within 24 hours, she and her daughters were placed in a confidential and safe place…and received counseling and later, transitional housing. Today, one year later, my friend and her children are doing great.”
Every gift to Interface enables us to respond to youth, adults and families in their most challenging times. With your support, we are strengthening families and helping youth to grow up safe, healthy, and happy.